Arts, Culture and Healing
The Town has always had a vibrant arts community as a national hub for artivism (art+activism). How can we centralize art at the center of our communal healing process, and use art as a lens to engage these other pertinent issues?
- Increase financial and community support for Oakland’s emerging arts districts
- Organize an Art Summit in collaboration with the Arts Commission and local arts and cultural groups to show how art can change how a city looks and feels
- Engage healing practitioners and create working relationships with community-based organizations across a range of practices including music making, somatics and movement, storytelling, visual arts production, drama therapy and spoken word
- Create awareness of the impact of generational trauma and how connections to ancestral knowledge, cultural practices as “medicine” and activism’s role in community and individual wellness
- Facilitate spaces for collective healing, inspired by the Alice Street Documentary Film, artists of the Black Panther Party and others.